When it comes to advertising, radio is usually not at the forefront for many companies, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a viable option for attracting new customers especially when the audio consumption is at an all-time high. As a matter of fact, according to a 2020 Nielsen survey “radio remains one of the centerpieces of the media universe, reaching 92% of U.S. adult listeners each week, more than any other platform.”
As a medium, radio is a fantastic option for ambitious small and medium-sized businesses that are looking to grow. With 36 million listeners, commercial radio advertising has many benefits. It cannot be skipped, blocked, or overpowered. Thus helping businesses reach out to new customers to build awareness, bring them to visit your store, boost response to websites, and increase sales.
If you are trying to figure out how radio can help grow your business and why radio advertisement is a great idea, we will explain to you all that and more. Let’s dive into the details.
What is Radio Advertising?
As old-fashioned as radio advertising may sound, it remains a tried and tested marketing channel for businesses looking to promote a message to a wide audience. Businesses can say a lot more compared to an online, text-based ad and it can be a more affordable advertising channel in terms of CPM compared to other video and voice-based advertising.
Radio is different from other forms like print, digital, and television advertising because you are totally dependent on the script, music, and voice-over to engage your audience. There’s absolutely no use of visuals. The goal is to spark the listener’s imagination so they can see what you are describing in your ad, which is why the medium is also referred to as the “theater of the mind”.
For advertising on the radio, you need to book spots that usually come in the form of 30 or 60 seconds ads. Sponsorship opportunities are also available where the advertiser receives a small acknowledgment before, during, or after a sponsored segment. Radio advertisements also come in the form of fully produced ads where radio presenters read an ad script or play a fully-produced ad with actors and production effects. Each of these types of radio advertisements has its own unique benefits and trade-offs.
Is Radio Advertising Still Effective?
The answer is, yes! Radio ads reach a large, targeted audience. Collected from various trusted studies and consumer reports, the numbers below will tell you that radio is still going strong.
- 92% of Americans listen to the radio every week. (Nielsen)
- Radio delivers $12 in sales for every $1 spent on advertising. (Nielsen Catalina Solutions)
- 59% of Americans listen to the radio every day. (Nielsen)
- More than 71.2 million adults 18-34 use radio each month. (Nielsen)
- The USA alone has over 6000 radio stations. (Ads For Carts)
- 25% of individuals get more interested in brands due to radio ads. (Ads For Carts)
- The radio market is poised to grow by $ 6.57 million during 2021-2025 progressing at a CAGR of almost 3%. (Technavio)
- Radio is one of the most accessible forms of media in the world today. (Ads For Carts)
- Radio accounted for 42% of total US time spent with audio. (Edison Research)
How Does Radio Advertising Work for Your Business?
Whatever your objective, radio advertising can play an important role in growing your business. Here’s how:
- It makes your business memorable. As the radio is played a number of times throughout the day, week or month, the ad becomes memorable to the listener. Thus, it stays at the top of the listener’s mind.
- It gives your business a personality. Radio ads are based entirely on the sense of hearing, which means listeners have to use their imagination to create a picture of what they are hearing. The better your script is, the easier it becomes for the listener to see the personality of your brand in that story.
- It results in action. Radio ads have high penetration levels and repetition, which is why they have a high call to action and generate excellent consumer recall.
Why Radio Advertising is A Great Idea?
Now, let’s come to the point. We have shown you what radio advertising is, how it works for your business and why it’s important. But why should you consider it? Because when you listen to the radio you are going to hear commercials. They are the doorway to get your brand in front of consumers all in the span of just a few seconds. It might be challenging but not impossible. This is why many companies are still allocating marketing budgets to try to take advantage of the benefits listed below.
- Cost-effective- When compared to TV and print advertising, statistics show that radio yields a better return. If you consider the cost of a print ad on the front page of a daily newspaper or the cost of one TV ad spot, it becomes clear that unless you have deep pockets, a radio ad can be the knight in shining armor for your business. Radios ads require fewer resources so highly cost-effective.
- High Recall- For an ad to be successful it should have high recall and memorability, and radio allows for both. And because radio ads are so cost-effective, repeating a message frequently is possible leading to extremely high recall levels and memorability. According to studies, sound can be stored effectively inside memory for longer than visuals. This is one of the reasons why companies are doing their best to create a jingle that’s distinct and memorable so it stays in the minds of those listening to it.
- Highly Targeted- Radio allows you to target a specific customer base through their listening habits, interests, and time of tuning in. Being able to get your message in front of the right audience at the right time is most important.
- Emotional Connect- Audiences today are open to listening from their favorite brand but they demand that you engage them, entertain or tell them a good story in return for their valuable time. Radio is a perfect medium through which you can capture the attention of your listeners in the form of humor and stories. It is easier to connect emotionally with your audience.
- Track Effectiveness- Radio ads allow you to see if the ad is being effective on a daily and weekly basis. Another great thing about it is that you can easily move them to a different time slot if you are not satisfied with the results.
- Reach Anywhere- Whether your listeners are driving, cleaning the house, cooking, working, or out in the garden you can reach them anywhere. Radio is the only medium which you can listen to while doing other things.
- Short Production Time- Producing a television or print ad takes weeks and sometimes even months. But, with radio advertisement, you can produce it in a lesser span of time and get it to the market in just a few days.
- Low Production Cost- Radio ads don’t require any hair and make-up cost, lights, camera, or shooting location. This cuts down the cost of producing a radio ad to a minimum in comparison with a television commercial.
Important Tip: Choosing the Right Voice Actor For Your Radio Ad
Seeking out the right voice artist is of great importance if you want to make your radio ad campaign a success. The voice you choose would be the spokesperson for your company and possibly the first human point of contact. Therefore, put careful consideration into choosing your desired voice age, accent, and style of delivery for the ad.
Radio commercials offer a plethora of advantages over other forms of media. All you need is the right stimulus for the “theatre of the mind” to create imagery that is far superior to that of print or television.
The pandemic has provided some amazing opportunities, people are still loyal to the radio. So, let’s not waste the chance.
For help getting started with radio advertisements, reach out to our team or visit our gallery for previous work samples. With over 4 decades of experience, Studio52 is one of the best radio commercial service providers in Dubai. We will help you craft the perfect radio ad with the right voice to cater to your target audience.